About Me

My photo
Nairobi, Kenya
I am an ordinary girl wanting what everybody wants. A good life that serves a purpose. I found out early in my life that writing was the only way I could express myself and explore the world and my mind without fear. I write because it gives me relief. It is my therapy, my outlet.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Generation Y ideal

Photo from www.good.co/blog/2013/05/20/
There was a day in one of my classes when this girl was arguing with the rest of the class about age. Well, it was her and her friend. The thing is we were saying that no one will give you a million dollar business deal to handle when you are in your twenties and the ink hasn't yet dried on your certificate. What we meant is that wisdom and experience comes with age but she wouldn't let up. She thought that we were looking down on ourselves. I wanted to argue but I procrastinated my comments until the argument ended. Fine, I just didn't feel like arguing. I don't know, she was hopeful and mind-numbing naive in my view.

The whole time she would defend her theory I just remembered this article I read on facebook...yes facebook; no typing error. Some link. It was stating the reasons why generation Y will be disappointed and it basically said that we live our lives with some type of entitlement. When we were young we were told that we are special and we can be and do anything we want if we put our minds to it. So we all think that we will end up being C.E.Os and wealthy. But, that's not reality, some will be managers, simple ordinary employees and some blue collar job workers and many won't be rich.  Now am a generation Y member so I also think that I won't be a blue collar worker. I'll start as an ordinary employee and work my way to the top. However am not delusional. Life has persistently shown me that things will never happen in the exact same way I envisioned it and most times not at all. For that reason I decided to not be rigid in my dreaming. If it's God's will for me to end up...wherever I end up and am happy even though am not successful according to society's standards then I will accept my fate.

 In primary school some teacher kept on stressing on how we need to leave a legacy like Michael Jackson, Steve Jobs, Bill gates, Oprah, Jerry Springer yes Jerry Springer, Obama as well...how could I forget Obama, yawa! Anyway, I remember thinking that the world has billions of people living in it every year at one given time and not everyone has a legacy. It is just not probable. I reached university and one of my lecturers said lets be reasonable. Some of you will score A in my class most B and C and a few D. It sounded bad but he was stating the truth. Someone has to be first and someone has to be last. Someone has to be the one loaning banks money and someone has to be the one accepting aid from NGO's. It is just sad reality, not negativity.

I do believe that if you work hard and smart and do your level best and not con anyone God will reward you with success. But, to think that just because you are hardworking then everything will go your way and people will just call you for opportunities to prove yourself is naive. Beyonce herself said that sometimes you work hard and still lose. I wouldn't give you that business deal because am sure when you mess up, you'll expect me to understand that you are human and things go wrong. However, experienced people know that when it comes to millions no one thinks mistake but sabotage.

No comments:

Post a Comment